Thursday, October 12, 2017

100

Before I get into anything I would like to point out that by writing this I’m not trying to rant about how good I am in soccer, but more of a look into my side of the story. Recently I’ve scored my 100th career varsity goal in soccer and I feel like it’s attracted a lot of attention, so I just wanted to share my awesome experience with Uni’s Soccer program and all fun moments leading up to my 100th goal, hopefully with more to come.
                Before I came to Uni I knew they had a good soccer program, when I was in 7th grade I was informed that they got 2nd in state, and I was impressed. So during my Freshman year before tryouts, I didn’t really expect to be placed straight onto varsity and later on start. I remembered playing very well during tryouts, even chipping the 6ft tall Noah Blue at one point (Hehe), but I still thought I would probably split JV and Varsity. But even with that glorious moment in the back of my mind, there was one moment from that tryout which I vividly remember. On the last day of tryouts Louie Siegel comes up to me and tells me that one day I’ll break the goal scoring record, I ask what it is and he says “The number on your back” and coincidentally I’m wearing my club team’s practice jersey #99. That was the moment when I was informed of this goals scoring record which Patrick Wong held and why he didn’t score 100. Which, fun fact, he could have scored on a penalty kick in the state finals, but George Voulgaris took instead. I realized that I just had to break that 99, it was meant for the breaking, 100 was just so perfect and round.
                My Freshman Year I went on to break the area freshman scoring record with 16 goals yet unfortunately we were knocked out in the first round of playoffs undeservedly to STM. Sophomore Year was a big year for us because we had a great group of Senior guys including Panos who had a mutually beneficial relationship with me. We would always assist and score off of each other and I definitely miss playing with him. That year, mostly because of how good the team I had around me was, I had 23 goals 24 assists, and we had some very clutch moments throughout post season, beating STM, and coming from behind against Beecher to get 4th in the state. For my Junior year, since we had went to state twice in the past 4 years, our school was bumped up to 2A, meaning that we would compete against schools with the population of central and Urbana. Although, it didn’t really matter to us since we usually beat teams regardless of school population. Junior year soccer was more about building team chemistry because we weren’t expecting to go far in post season, and since the best players on the team were Juniors, I learned how to become more of a leader. That year I scored 29 goals 11 assists. Coming into my senior year, I knew that one of my goals was to definitely try and beat the scoring record, I knew that I would have to score 32 goals (more than I ever had), which is about 1.5 goals per game. No easy task. But everyone I talked to, including myself, thought it was achievable. I got off to a really slow start this year, scoring 10 goals in 12 matches. I was doubting myself, but I had a week where I went off and scored 19 goals in 6 games, putting me back on track. This all lead up to just 2 days ago when I scored my 100th goal.

To those who are curious about how I felt, I guess over the past 3 games I knew it was coming, and of course I was excited over it, I’m finally a part of Uni history, and in the sport that I love. However, throughout the season I was focusing more on making sure the team plays well, which is more important. So I have been trying not to force shots just to get my stats up. Currently I have 32 goals and 16 assists, and I think we have a very good shot at making state once again this year, we know we are the best team in the section, we just have to prove it.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 100th goal! I enjoyed learning about your Uni High soccer journey through this post. My favorite part was reading the anecdote about trying out freshman year and Louie telling you that you would break the record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cool actually. I'm glad that soccer has been something you've enjoyed so much all these years. I agree that the record was just asking to be broken because it was 99 and 100 is a perfect number. Congratulations on making it and I hope yall do make it to state.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome; congrats on making Uni history! I thought it was really cute that Louie Siegel told you that you'd break it one day, he saw the future! Did you guys get bumped down from 2A this year or are you still in it? Regardless, good luck in post season I know you guys will crush it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha this is late but ya we got bumped down to 1A that's why we made it to super sectionals.

      Delete
  4. This post was really fun to read. I really like how you built up the tension around beating the record and the anecdote at the beginning really sets it up to be "meant to be" so to speak. Congrats on 100 goals!

    ReplyDelete