Thursday, October 26, 2017

Learning Farsi

           When I was a kid my mother always tried to teach me Farsi, the Persian language. When I was a baby she would read books to me in Farsi while I went to sleep. My first word was kooh, which meant “where” in Farsi, and she always speaks to me in Farsi in the household. I even partook in Farsi festivals where my brother and I joined other children who dressed up every week and learned dance routines.
When I was in 4th grade my mom and 4 other Persian families, with kids around our age, got their kids together to start a Farsi class. I hated it because it was right after school on Friday and I just wanted to get home and relax. During the Farsi class we worked on reading and writing, every week we had homework to translate text. In class we would act out Persian plays where we each had our own roles, and since it was right after school on Fridays we would all have short attention spans. So there were many times where we forgot our cue and our teacher would get really mad. The rest of my memory from my Farsi class is limited, however I do remember that it was long boring hours. But at the time I didn’t value the importance of it.
After 5th grade I stopped taking Farsi class because I went to middle school and ever since my Farsi speaking ability has declined. Although my Mom would always talk to me in Farsi every day I would always reply in English, and what I have noticed is that I have all these words in the back of my conscious but when I want to say something in Farsi I can never find the words for it. This is a big regret especially when I’m around my aunts and uncles from my mother’s side. I can always understand what they are saying, but because I cannot speak Farsi well, it makes it look like I don’t understand anything. As a result I feel like a lot of the times there’s a social disconnect between my family members from my mother’s side and me. I can still communicate with them in English but conversations in Farsi are much more genuine. Of course I know all the basics words but every other sentence there are a couple of words that are at the tip of my tongue but can never come out.

All in all, learning a language is hard. I know a lot of people who don’t speak fluent in their native language even though they’ve went to Chinese school or their parents have talked to them in a language around the household. Becoming familiar with a language is all about practicing and learning. As a result, words become engrained in your memory and in my case, I have the perfect scenario to practice by speaking back to my relatives and mother in Farsi. Becoming fluent in Farsi is something that I definitely want to learn before I get too old, and eventually pass down to my children.

10 comments:

  1. Learning a language is definitely really hard. My parents also only talked to me in Telugu when I was younger so I would pick up the language. Aside from speaking at home one of the main reason I picked up speaking was from watching Telugu movies with my family, which really ingrained the language in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning a language is hard ^. My grandmother and her sisters, the relatives on my dad's side that bind most of the family together, all speak Greek and have always wanted the younger generations of the family to learn Greek. I know a few words, but not nearly as much Farsi as you know, and nobody tried to teach it to me when I was younger, so I'm very disconnected from it. I've always wanted to learn Greek to communicate with my relatives in Greece, and I know my Grandma would probably faint if I spoke it to her. I wish you good luck in learning Farsi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude I relate completely! I feel the exact same way with Croatian because whenever I'm with relatives, they assume I don't know croatian because I don't speak very well. But aside from that, this is a really cute post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy families who have more than one language in their homes. You're lucky that your mom speaks Farsi and has exposed you to it from a young age. I agree with the comments above that learning a language is difficult, but it sounds like you understand Farsi, and that's huge, even if you have trouble speaking it. I hope you get to go and live in Iran (or some Farsi-speaking community somewhere) for a time, so that you can be immersed in the language. You will be amazed at how quickly the language flows once you're speaking and hearing it 24/7, especially with the background you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a matter of fact, about 3 years ago I lived in Iran for 3 weeks and my Farsi got a lot better. The problem was that when I got back to the U.S I had no need for it and I should have continued to speak to my mother in Farsi. I hope to visit Iran soon again so I can be put in situations where I have to practice Farsi to get by.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry that you have trouble communicating with your mother's side of the family. As someone who never spoke another language I can't totally understand what it's like but your post really showed that it's frustrating. Good luck in your journey to become fluent in Farsi again and make that connection with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post! Becoming fluent in Farsi seems incredibly important to you, which I think gives you the best mindset to actually do so! I really wish I learned how to speak Tamil but my mom can only understand it and I've never been in a setting where I was immersed in the language.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work! I can defiantly relate to this post... My mom speaks to me in Spanish quite often, but its always been difficult for me to pick up and be as fluent as she is because I just don't have the time to practice nor have been exposed to the language outside of my family and school. Nonetheless, learning my native language is still very important to me and something I'll continue to work on. As for you, it seems like you're well on your way! Being able to understand Farsi is huge! So don't be discouraged. Keep at it! Anyhow, best of luck, and very nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me, speaking Vietnamese out in public is horrible. Despite going to school there for one year when I was in 3rd grade, I was never a good speaker (even in English). I think I have a weird American accent, but the worst thing is I cannot understand what Southern Vietnamese people say to me, meaning 99% of Vietnamese people in the U.S. They don't seem to understand me much, since the vocabulary is different as well. I understand their vocabulary, but cannot decipher their accent/dialect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete